Sustainable Style: Mom's Hand-me-down Logo Crew Neck

by - 9:00 AM

All photos taken by the lovely Stef <3



I've always been super mindful of what I watched in the company of my parents. Whenever the dialogue in a film hints at a make-out scene, I joke that Paris is "too young to see this movie" so its best we stop watching. The joke here is that Paris is 12.  She's also our dog.

It's become increasingly difficult to find content that engages us all as a family. My parents have the EWTN channel playing in the background 24/7. I'm still trying to finish Gilmore Girls, which is their threshold for scandalous shows (yeah, I know. Gilmore Girls, where the idea of a sex scene is two teens tumbling out of room in rumpled clothing.) As you can see, there is no overlap in our TV interests.

I'm growing older, and spending less time at home, so TV is our primary form of bonding these days.
Luckily, my dad was able to find common watching ground: documentaries. Films had a straightforward plot (aka no surprise nudity, a plus for my parents) and educational (a plus for me, since I'm so gung-ho about continual learning.)



The first film we decided to watch together was The True Cost. 2017 is the year I'm making a promise to myself to be more responsible in terms of my health, finances, and career priorities. After watching this film, I've since tacked onto that list some general human being responsibilities.

I've decided to 'become an active citizen through my wardrobe' as Livia Firth of Eco-Age suggests. I can't do a complete 180 and remove every fast fashion item of clothing in my wardrobe. I can, however, take it upon myself to reduce the amount of cheaply made clothing I buy moving forward.



I was happy to find that building a sustainable wardrobe doesn't mean you have to exclusively buy ethically sourced clothes. It can be as simple as committing to wearing pieces a minimum of 30 times, or buying secondhand. You're not contributing to market demand for new items that increase the amount of clothes ending up in a landfill. Attempt to do some good by the environment and your wallet.



Being mindful of what I'm consuming visually and now in a material sense really feels like a step in the right direction. In this outfit alone, I am able to tie together three secondhand pieces without feeling outdated. I'm excited to see how far I can go in building a sustainable wardrobe. Do you have any 2017 goals you're already working on accomplishing this month?

Crew neck: Mom's
Button-Up: Savers // Polo
Camel Coat: Savers // Anne Klein
Jeans: Gap
Sneakers: Adidas




You May Also Like

0 comments