I Did Not Buy Those Piñata Earrings For You

by - 3:15 PM


Sometimes when I'm driving and out of podcasts/music to listen to, my mind wanders to a weird place where I begin to analyze my most embarrassing moments.  Then I do this thing where I try counteracting new moments with old moments and SUDDENLY I'm stuck reliving every cringeworthy incident of my past.

During this unwelcome thought extraction I have physical reactions (gagging) and mental (wracking my brain to find any explanation in the book to justify my awkward being.)

Here's a gag-worthy tidbit: Up until as recent as high school, whenever someone complimented me on something I was wearing, I would tell them how much it costed me.  Or that it was on sale.

First of all, no one asked.  Second, learn to take the compliment and go!!

Why did I feel the need to overshare and be so damn tacky? In ninth grade my classmate commended me on my white high top converse.  I had proudly responded they were only $9.99.  PROUDLY.  I thought it was better to be frugal then to own my feminine interests. I was ashamed of how into clothes I was.  I didn't want to be perceived as shallow so I fielded compliments. In a twisted way I convinced myself that if people were aware I didn't spend an insane amount on clothes, it would be an acceptable thing to like.

Well today, I'm saying screw that mentality.   In no way does caring about my appearance = being the singular thing I care about.  There's no need for me to justify why doing something for my community gives me the same satisfaction as finding a new way to wear denim overalls.  There's a lot more to it, but I'm not as eloquent as the likes of Rowan Blanchard and Yara Shahidi, & Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  They shatter the narrative that women with "frivolous" interests (i.e clothes, makeup, or pop culture) can't care about serious matters too.

A few years ago, I got a pair of Betsy Johnson piñata earrings solely because I thought they were adorable.  I didn't get them to impress anyone, they weren't in style exactly, and there was no real occasion for them.  In some way they have turned into a symbol of me doing me, like this I hope this blog will be.  A creative outlet of sorts where there will be absolutely no room for embarrassment.  Mainly a place for me to experiment and post outfit ideas no one cares about. Stay tuuuuuuuned.


You May Also Like

0 comments